7515 South Main Street, Suite 240
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 791-9966
Monday–Friday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
Hair Loss Treatment
Hair loss can affect both women and men of various ages due to multiple causes and conditions. At DermSurgery Associates, we offer advanced treatments for hair loss across Greater Houston, TX. Through numerous approaches, our board-certified dermatologists help men and women achieve fuller, healthier hairlines they can feel confident about.
What Causes Hair Loss?
Alopecia can affect people of many ages, and while this condition is not dangerous or contagious, it can cause embarrassment and insecurity.
Pediatric hair loss typically falls into one of these categories:
- Alopecia areata: Patchy loss or thinning all around the head that occurs when the immune system attacks the hair follicles.
- Telogen effluvium: Loss or thinning caused by stress that pushes hair into the telogen (resting) phase of growth and causes it to eventually fall out.
In adults, forms of hair loss include:
- Alopecia areata
- Telogen effluvium
- Androgenetic alopecia: Hormone-related patterns of loss experienced by both men and women. This is also described as male-pattern or female-pattern baldness.
Before & After Photos
Keep in mind that each patient is unique and your results may vary.
What Are the Best Treatments for Hair Loss?
Hair restoration treatments for hair loss center around stimulating new hair growth and slowing future loss. Your provider may need to perform blood work to determine the cause of your hair loss and formulate an effective treatment plan. Treatments include:
- Alopecia areata: Typically treated with steroid injections into the thinning patches to stimulate new growth. Your provider will take a detailed medical history to rule out internal causes.
- Telogen effluvium: Your provider will discuss your medical history with you to determine possible causes, which will dictate options for treatment.
- Androgenetic alopecia: Topical Rogaine (approved for both men and women) and oral Propecia (approved only for men) can prevent future loss and restore hair in areas of thinning with prolonged use.
At your DermSurgery Associates consultation, you will discuss your concerns and family history with your provider, who may also examine your scalp and perform tests as needed to better understand the cause of your hair loss. He or she will then work with you to determine the right treatment approach.
If you would like to learn more about hair loss treatment, please call one of our specialists at a location near you.
Hair Loss Treatment Locations Near You
High-quality skin care is never far away. Call a convenient location near you to request an appointment.