Summer skin protection is critical to maintaining healthy, glowing, young-looking skin. A golden tan looks great, but we all know that too much sun exposure can wreak havoc on the long-term resilience of our skin.
To much sun can cause lines and wrinkles, crow’s feet, sun spots and other discolorations. It results in dry, leathery, skin; premature aging; uneven texture; reduced elasticity; skin cancer!…the list goes on.
According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, one in five people will be diagnosed with skin cancer in their lifetime.
Here are their guidelines for the best summer skin protection this summer:
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Don’t get a sunburn!
- Avoid tanning and never use UV tanning beds.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, use a water-resistant, broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours or after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Use sunscreen on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See a dermatologist at least once a year for a professional skin exam.
You’ll find DermSurgery Associates clinics located all across Houston. They are staffed with expertly trained dermatologists, physician’s assistants and aestheticians who will help you proactively create a a summer skin protection strategy. And if the damage is already done, they can help you minimize the effects.