Now that Houston is looking to get back into the routine as we move into fall and winter, we recommend a thorough skin check and finding out how to repair summer skin damage.
The importance of skin checks
The sun damages skin, and there’s no way around it. Aside from the way sun-damaged skin looks, there’s also the concern about skin cancer. The sun’s UV rays are the most common cause of all types of skin cancer, and this condition isn’t always easy to spot in its early stages.
For this reason, dermatologists everywhere recommend annual skin checks to rule out the presence of cancer. The end of summer is a good time to have this fast and painless procedure done.
Skin cancer most often presents in the form of a mole or spot that grows, is oddly shaped, contains “unusual” coloring or often just appears as a new spot (i.e., not a mole you’ve had since childhood). While a lay person can notice changes in the skin, only a qualified dermatologist or other skin-care specialist can accurately diagnose and treat skin cancer.
What you need to know about skin cancer
Skin cancer can strike anyone at any age. While not all skin cancer is immediately deadly, all forms are serious and need to be treated. Here are some important things to know:
- Skin cancer is far and away the most common form of cancer.
- Basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma are the most common skin cancers and usually very treatable.
- Melanoma is a less-common form and is more likely to spread and cause serious problems.
- While sun-exposure is the most common way to get skin cancer, a family history of this type of cancer also can play a part.
- One of your best defenses against skin cancer is to use a high-quality sunscreen with an SPF of higher than 15 every time you spend more than a few minutes in direct sunlight.
Ways to repair summer skin damage
Aside from cancer, our skin can be damaged in many ways from a combination of excess sun and the normal aging process. Fortunately at DermSurgery Associates, we have effective treatments for virtually every kind of skin damage under the sun. Among the conditions we treat are:
- Wrinkling on various parts of the face and other areas of the body
- Pigmentation issues such as freckles, age spots, liver spots and more
- Reddish areas on the neck
- Moles (pre-cancerous and cancerous)
- Red, scaly lesions on the body and lips (can turn into squamous cell carcinoma)
Whether it’s an annual skin check, treatments to repair summer skin damage or any of a full range of professional dermatology services, DermSurgery is standing by to help. Call 713.791.9966 with questions or to schedule an appointment.
# # # # #
DermSurgery Associates is a Greater Houston area dermatology practice offering cosmetic, surgical and non-invasive dermatology treatments and procedures with industry-leading physicians trained and experienced with the most current dermatology technologies and procedures. For more information, contact
7515 Main, Suite 240
Houston, TX 77030