Independence Day is right around the corner, the perfect time for DermSurgery to share our RED, WHITE & BLUE skin care strategy for the holiday.
Red skin is damaged skin! Avoid sunburns this season by taking steps to protect your skin from the harsh rays of the sun:
- Shadows are your friend – relax in the shade of a tree or umbrella, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Wear clothing that shields your skin from the sun. The Skin Cancer Foundation says “clothing made of tightly-woven fabric best protects skin from the sun. The easiest way to test if a fabric can protect your skin is to hold it up to the light. If you can see through it, then UV radiation can penetrate it – and your skin.” Read more about their recommendations here.
- Don’t forget to accessorize with a big hat and UV-blocking sunglasses! The Mayo Clinic suggests that you look for the certain qualities in sunglasses for the best eye protection. Read more here.
- Block 99% to 100% of both UVA and UVB rays
- Screen out 75% to 90% of visible light
- Have lenses that are perfectly matched in color and free of distortions and imperfections
- Have lenses that are gray for proper color recognition
- A broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher is an important component of your skin care strategy. Apply and reapply! If you’re going to be in the water or engaging outdoor sports, use a water-resistant, broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Keep the little ones out of the sun. Apply sunscreens to babies and kiddos over the age of six months.
Nourish your skin with powerful skincare products:
- Nurture the skin on your face and body with light skincare products designed to retain moisture without clogging pores.
- Choose lotions, creams and moisturizers that contain a broad-spectrum sunscreen. Here are some we like:
- DermSurgery SPF 50 Sunscreen (ask us about this great product!)
- Elta Sunscreen
- Soothe painful sunburned skin with a moisturizer that contains aloe vera or soy.
Blue is the color of cool, right? Beat the summer heat with these cooling tips:
- Drink lots and lots of water!
- Plan your exercise in the early morning or later in the evening to avoid sun and heat exposure during the hottest part of the day.
- Store your moisturizers and lotions in the refrigerator for a refreshing application.
- Keep a spray bottle of water handy for frequent facial mist. Here’s a refreshing recipe you can make at home:
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of aloe vera
- 1/2 cup of rosewater
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol, which can dehydrate you quickly.
Both the heat and the harsh rays of the summer sun can be hard on your skin! Start by practicing our RED, WHITE & BLUE skin care strategy, and then make an appointment with your DermSurgery Associates dermatologist to make sure you’re doing everything you can to protect the health of your precious skin. Click here or call (713) 791-9966 to set your appointment today.