Changes in the skin are a natural part of the aging process. As skin gets older, it becomes more lax and no longer has the healthy glow it had during youth. Brown spots, age spots, spider veins, and pigment issues are other frustrating signs of aging skin. What’s more, sun damage can cause the skin to look leathery and unhealthy. So what can you do about all this?
From acne scar removal to laser skin resurfacing, our Houston-area practices have the answers to a wide range of skin challenges. Our goal is always to enhance your skin’s appearance, restore some of the youth you thought you’d lost, and improve your confidence in your appearance. With so many treatment options available, though, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and unsure of the treatment that’s right for your concerns. In this blog post, we break down your options.
Diminish Discoloration & Sun Damage
Photofacial (Cutera Limelight)
Cutera Limelight’s photofacial treatment improves surface imperfections associated with aging and photodamage, such as discoloration.
- Treats light brown spots, redness, and telangiectasia on the face, neck, chest, arms, and legs.
- Can be used on a variety of skin tones and aging skin conditions.
PicoSure (Medical Center location)
PicoSure’s picosecond laser technology removes hyperpigmentation and other marks from the skin. It’s an ideal treatment for:
- Acne scars
- Sun spots and brown spots
- General sun damage
- Tattoos (including those that have been difficult to remove)
Smooth Wrinkles, Diffuse Redness
These laser treatments diminish wrinkles by gently heating the dermis, removing damaged cells and promoting the production of collagen.
- Corrects diffuse redness and rosacea
- Erythema reduction and new collagen production to improve the appearance of wrinkles formation in the papillary dermis
- No downtime, minimal discomfort, no disposables
Tone Skin, Improve Texture, Fade Acne Scars
Treatment options: SmoothBeamTM, Nd:Yag laser; Fraxel
Rough, uneven skin develops over the years, especially with sun damage and acne scars. These laser treatments address those complexion issues, smoothing fine wrinkles, acne scars, and irregular skin texture.
- These lasers are used in tandem, stimulating collagen production at different depths in the skin and ultimately giving it a healthy glow and smoother texture
- Often takes two months to appreciate results, improvement may continue for up to a year following the last treatment
- Treatments are typically performed monthly
You can see how well Fraxel reduces skin discoloration in the before and after pictures to the left. You can see more Fraxel before and after pictures in our photo gallery.
Relieve Active Acne & Acne Scars
Treatment options: SmoothBeamTM, PDT
Oily skin, active acne, and tenacious acne scars can make you feel self-conscious about your skin. Laser and light treatments address those issues, leaving your skin looking and feeling smoother and healthier.
- Shrinks oil producing glands of the skin to treat acne and reduce bacterial production
- Stimulates collagen production to diminish the appearance of scarring
- Requires multiple treatments
Remove Pigmented Lesions
Treatment options: Q-Switched Ruby Laser, Nd:Yag laser
These lasers zap pigmentation and increase your skin’s production of collagen.
- For solar lentigos (sun spots), tattoos, nevus of Ota, and other pigmented lesions
- Laser specifically targets the darker region of skin being treated and clears the lesion, leaving surrounding skin unharmed
- May require multiple treatments
Erase Vascular Lesions
Treatment options: V-Beam Perfecta®, Cynergy
Pulsed dye lasers like V-Beam Perfecta deliver a burst of light into specific treatment spots. The blood vessels or melanin in the treatment area absorb the light, which breaks up the pigmentation. The result is a smoother, more even complexion.
- For broken or enlarged blood vessels, scars, Hemangiomas, port wine stains, and other vascular lesions
- Multiple treatments may be required for desired results
- Minimal to no recovery period, unless treatment for hemagioma or congenital venous malformation
Remove Pre-Cancerous Lesions
Treatment options: Photodymanic Therapy (PDT)
Photodynamic therapy is our go-to for removing actinic keratosis (pre-cancerous skin lesions), reducing acne breakouts, rejuvenating skin, and addressing some skin cancers.
- Uses a topical cream or injection prior to laser or light treatment
- Requires strict sun and bright light avoidance after the procedure
Reduce Leg Veins
Treatment options: Lasers, Sclerotherapy
Small, superficial blood vessels on the legs often make people feel self-conscious in shorts, dresses, and other leg-revealing clothing. Sclerotherapy and laser treatments can reduce these small blood vessels.
- A small amount of sclerosing solution is injected into the affected veins, causing the vessel walls to collapse and ultimately go away
- Results are often seen approximately four weeks following treatment
- Often requires multiple treatments for desired results
- Lasers may be used if indicated for certain types of leg veins
Treatment options: HydraFacial® (Available in Bellaire)
Invigorate your skin with HydraFacial’s treatment that exfoliates rough, dead skin cells and infuses skin with nourishing serums. HydraFacial treatments can diminish some of the following skin concerns:
- Fine lines
- Skin laxity issues
- Brown spots
- Dead skin cell removal
- Texture enhancement
Brighten & Firm Skin
Treatment options: SkinPen® (Medical Center, Bellaire, and Kingwood locations)
SkinPen boosts new collagen and elastin production to create healthier, younger-looking skin. It treats fine lines, wrinkles, mild skin laxity and more.
- Safe microneedling technology
- Little downtime after procedure
- Minimally invasive
- Perfect for ongoing healthy skin maintenance
- Works great in hard-to-reach areas
Healthline offers additional information about microneedling, its recovery, and more.
What Do Our Patients Like?
DermSurgery Associates of Houston regularly consults with patients about what devices we have, who can benefit from them, and what it’s like to have the treatments performed. Here are a few things you might want to know:
- Most treatments are a comfortable experience with no downtime.
- How long each treatment will take is based on the area of your body being treated, but one hour is about average.
- Though some results are more immediate, most results should be seen after one to three treatments.
- For skin that is heavily damaged, more treatments may be necessary.
Our helpful cosmetic dermatology staff throughout the Houston area will be happy to explain more about the benefits of our many therapies. Request a consultation online or call us at (713) 791-9966 to arrange an appointment at any of our locations. For treatments available at the Bellaire office, you can also call 713-669-9222.
# # # # #
DermSurgery Associates is a Greater Houston area dermatology practice offering cosmetic, surgical and non-invasive dermatology treatments and procedures with industry-leading physicians trained and experienced with the most current dermatology technologies and procedures. For more information, contact
7515 Main, Suite 240
Houston, TX 77030